Natural Detox Recipes
Further to last weeks blog on natural detox, here are some quick and easy recipes to help with your detox.
Green Smoothie – 1 serving
1 cup filtered or spring water
2 cups spinach
1 cup romaine lettuce
½ cup celery
1 small pear
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
Add water, chopped spinach, chopped romaine lettuce and chopped celery to the blender. Starting the blender on a low speed, mix until smooth. Gradually move to higher speeds and add the pear, then the banana and lemon juice. Enjoy immediately or sip throughout the day.
Eat Your Greens Detox Soup – Serves 3
Prep Time – 25 Minutes
Cook Time – 20 to 30 Minutes
1 ½ teaspoons coconut oil or olive oil
1 sweet onion
3 cloves garlic
3 cups sliced cremini or white button mushrooms
1 cup chopped carrots
2 cups chopped broccoli florets
Fine grain sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 ½ to 3 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
½ teaspoon ground turmeric
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
5 cups vegetable broth
2 large nori seaweed sheets, cut into 1 inch strips (optional)
2 cups torn kale leaves
Fresh lemon juice, for serving (optional)
1. In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for about five minutes, until the onion is soft and translucent.
2. Add the mushrooms, carrots, and broccoli and stir to combine. Season generously with salt and pepper and sauté for five minutes more.
3. Stir in the ginger, turmeric, cumin, and cinnamon and sauté for one to two minutes, until fragrant.
4. Add the broth and stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the vegetables are tender, 10-20 minutes.
5. Just before serving, stir in nori (if using) and kale and cook until wilted. Season with salt and pepper and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, if desired.
Sheila Daniel, RHN