Alcohol is very often not the cause of that extra pound or two you gained over the holidays or after a few parties. The fact that alcohol relaxes you, lowering your inhibitions means that unless your dancing on the table you’re probably scoffing all the high fat, high sodium nibbles on the table. You conveniently forget all the cheese sticks and sausage rolls you ate and blame the alcohol. Stick with the list below and I’m afraid you’ll have to face the truth. You’re a binge nibbler after a few tipples.
Top Ten Low Calorie Alcoholic Drinks
• Sparkling wine is surprisingly low in calories, containing a mere 105 calories for a 140 ml glass.
• White wine averages 91 calories per 140 ml glass. Sweeter wines will average an extra 20 calories. Pour your white wine into a long glass and top with soda water, adding volume to your drink without adding calories. Alternatively pop a couple of ice cubes into your wine glass.
• Red wine comes in at 98 calories for every 140 ml glass.
• Vodka comes in on average at 55 calories per 25 ml. Add plenty of ice, 50 ml of lime cordial and top with soda water for a long drink. A total of 61 calories a pop. Yippee! bring on the vodka…
• Gin is also 55 calories per 25 ml. Add lots of ice, a slice of lime and 100 ml of Schweppes’s tonic. This delightful tipple will rob a mere 92 calories from your daily allowance.
• A 25 ml of whiskey topped with soda water has to be the lowest of all, hitting home at only 55 calories. Ye hay!
• A 25 ml of whiskey and 120 ml of ginger ale will set you back 95 calories.
• A martini averages 200 calories per glass, if you don’t eat the olive. I say eat the olive. There’s a lot of alcohol in that olive. To hell with the extra 8 calories.
• A better choice would be a bloody mary with a celery stick! A bloody mary will cost you about 120 calories. Tomato juice is also full of vitamin C, which helps prevent a hangover the next morning. And celery is a zero calorie food. Three good reasons to drink bloody mary’s.
• A Tom Collins runs alongside the bloody mary at a 120 calories per glass.
Some good tips stop all that nibbling: have a healthy dinner before the party and drink lots of water between drinks. Remember to drink responsibly and don’t drink and drive! Happy celebrating!